What is an Accessory Dwelling Unit?
Is an Accessory Dwelling Unit right for your property? ADUs (also known as granny flats or guest houses) are independent facilities that can either be connected or detached from your main home. These units provide the chance to live more affordably in California, and Hubbell & Hubbell offers those services if you are looking into building one for your property. It is not meant to be sold separately from your main house but can be rented. It’s the perfect place for weekend guests or even long-term tenants. Here are some updates that have happened if you’re considering building a granny flat:
It is no longer allowed for local governments to prohibit granny flats, and there is no need to connect a separate utility connection if it is within a current residence. The ADU will be zoned for single family residential if it has access to outside and complies with fire code with side and rear setbacks. The floor area cannot surpass 1,200 square feet and should be less than 50% of current living space. As for parking, one space per bedroom is required unless the following is true:
- Public transit is within a half mile
- In a historic district
- Already part of a current accessory structure or a current primary residence
- When the occupant of ADU is not offered on-street parking permits although they are required
- Within 1 block of a car share space
Granny flats can have versatile designs and can house a kitchen, living space, and bathroom. Some examples of where it can be located are:
- Above the garage
- Independent unit
What are your goals in building a granny flat / guest house?
- Do you want to rent out to a long-term tenant?
- Do you want to rent out to short-term or weekend guests?
- Would you like to house your mother close to you but ensure you both can maintain your privacy?
- Does your college-aged child need a place to live while they attend classes?
- Do you have family members and friends who visit often?
Building a granny flat not only is a way to become more financially secure if you choose to rent it out, it increases the value of your property in the long run. The unit can give you the flexibility in your own life while maintaining both your privacy and your guests’ or tenants’.
Take a look at the ADU projects we have designed above, and call us for a free consultation at (619) 231-0446. Contact us if you are interested in building an ADU of your own!